Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Tip Tuesday Here: Inexpensive Embellishments!




Once in awhile when I begin to gather products to create a layout I find that I just can't find that one perfect embellishment that will complete my page.  Sometimes it's because we don't have a coordinating piece and sometimes it's because the paper seems like enough and to just throw stuff on the page seems to take away from the design.
For this Tuesday's Tip I thought I would share one of my favorite and inexpensive embellishment tricks.......I fussy cut!
Fussy cutting simply means to carefully (some would say meticulously) cut around an image or shape found on a piece of paper.
Many of my layouts are inspired by the paper I buy....so when I find a single sheet or a collection that makes me want to create I often will carefully review the design for an image or  shape that I think is key to the design.  In the case of this beautiful paper collection by DCWV called
The At Home Stack
I was immediately drawn to the shiny & glittered clocks that appeared on one of the papers.
I selected a few of my favorites and fussy cut around each one with my Cutter Bee yellow handle scissors.  These are the best scissors I find for cleaning up the edges of my Cricut layers and for fussy cutting around images.   I always ink the edges when I fussy cut to hide any of the white core from showing around the sides and that seems to make the images have more depth.
I will also often times add foam tape for dimension as well.
I hope you like this new layout I will be adding to the Creative Cutter Shop and I hope you feel inspired to break out your favorite pair of small scissors and start embellishing! 

5 comments :

Dawnll said...

What a wonderful layout-love the clocks. Yes I am a fussy cutter for sure-thanks for sharing this tip

Sunshine HoneyBee said...

Like the clocks layout. I'm not that good of a cutter and always admire what others can do.
Melissa
"Sunshine HoneyBee"

Heather Lynn said...

i do "fussy cutting" too! i love my cutterbee's! you lo turned out awesome! happy to be following you now! ~hl

abusybee - DoubleClick Connections said...

Great lay-out! The clocks really give this lay-out the perfect touch!
Carri~abusybee
www.doubleclickconnections.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Really pretty Cathie!!! Super great job! And I agree with Carri and Melissa, the clocks are PERFECT for this!! Great tip!!!

Crafty Hugs,
Jessica
www.craftinandstampin.blogspot.com