Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Talk Time Tuesday: TEENAGERS

I recently had a class in my Creative Cutter Room(Home Studio)  and the ladies that attended were AWESOME.  One of the things that came up was a young mom asking for advice from the group about raising teenagers.  Some of us in the room have teenagers--I myself currently have 3 and a pre-teen--so it came as no surprise that this age group can pose a CHALLENGE to a Mom's patience.  So the question got me thinking(dangerous I know)  Scrapbookers in general are a great group to GO TO for advice---right???  We are mostly Women, Mothers, Grandmothers, Daughters, Wives, Sisters and as a group we've done it and seen it all--so why not pass along some SAGE advice to those that need an online shoulder from time to time.

Here's what I want to do.  Instead of posting just projects, products, tips and class info what if I set aside a day each week where we can TALK to each other (via comments in the Creative Cutter Room) about our Challenges, Triumphs, and more importantly our Experiences in Life.  We scrapbook these things so we are already use to sharing them in way.  Hopefully what we share will help someone even if its just to let them know they are not alone!!!

For our first ever TALK TIME TUESDAY  I will post the same question my student had.  What can you share about teenagers???

Here is what I've been thinking about--When did staring at your Mother with a blank "You are so clueless" look become an acceptable response to a question?  My 16 & 14 year old daughters often respond to my question "What were you thinking?" in this manner!  I find that rather than try to sit down with them to have a heart to heart about any problem they are having if I suggest "Let's go for a ride"  that the lines of communication just flood open with all kinds of insight into WHAT THEIR THINKING.  I guess if we don't actually have to LOOK at each other it becomes easier to Talk to one another.  Go figure.  I hope you will all share some advice, tips or an amusing anecdote about what works for you.  Then we will do this again next Tuesday with a new Topic.  Oh and if you want to suggest a Topic just post it here or email me Rcathierigby@aol.com if you want it to remain private.

3 comments :

zgoof said...

Well as I said that night I don't think I am the one to ask... I am failing miserably (failed) when it comes to kids... teenagers especially!!!

Anne said...

Dear zgoof.....Don't you ever say you're failing!!!! Do you love your children? I'm sure you do! Do you make sure they have what they need to live? Im sure you do. We as parents do as much as we can and the rest is up to the kids. SOOO maybe the kids have failed but that does NOT make it your fault, and it doesn't make you a failure.

Unknown said...

All we can do for our children is show them right from wrong, love them and do a lot of praying for them. They reach a point where they will have to make their own choices and we need to gracefully "let the go". Let them know you love and that the choices they make now will be with them the rest of their lives. You will always be there for them... not to fix their mistakes but to love them.