Monday, November 7, 2011

FCCB Challenge #85:Book Lover

To Enter the Sketch Challenge {Click Here}
Welcome to my FIRST posting for the {Fatabulous Cricut Challenge Blog}
This week's challenge is titled Book Lover #85
We were asked to create any project with a book theme and I took that very literally and created 
a shadow box book for my son Derek who is leaving for his LDS mission soon.
He is leaving on the 16th of this month and I am doing the best I can to keep my heart & tears under control!!!
I cut two chipboard pieces measuring 5 3/4 x 8 1/2 and covered with blue cardstock front and back.
I used patterned paper on the inside covers.  
I then cut two pieces of brown cardstock measuring 4 1/2 x 8 1/2 
Then scored it at the 1 1/2 inch mark from each side to create the binding.
I folded the scored lines and glued one brown piece to the outside and one brown piece to the inside.
I added the brown silk ribbon to the inside center.
To create the shadow box you need to accordion fold 4 pieces of cardstock measuring:
(2) 5 x 5 1/2
(2) 8 1/2 x 5 1/2
score at every 1/2 inch and join with score tape in the corners.
I created this book to help remind him of the family back home that will be thinking of him.
Since this is a 3D project there is a good space behind the family picture where his sisters have left him notes of love and encouragement that he can pull out to give him a boost when needed.
This book was super easy to make and hopefully since it can look like any other book on his desk it will not be too embarrassing for him to have.
Here is one last look.
Key Ingredients
Cricut Cartridges: Art Nouveau (Family letters)
     Cuttin' Up (Saying inside)
MS Seasonal Cake Art (DEREK letters)
Sentimentals (Owl & layers)
Sophie (Leaf Frame & Book Belongs to)
Cardstock: Bazzill
Patterned Paper: Hello Fall by Little Yellow Bicycle
Brown 3/4" silk ribbon
Thanks so much for stopping by, be sure and leave me a comment-I love reading your feedback.  I hope you will make a book lover project and submit it over at FCCB.

17 comments :

Kate said...

Wow! This is absolutely fabulous, Cathie! It looks fantastic inside and out!

(I'm having difficulty linking your post to the FCCB Challenge post. When I click the heading of your post, it takes me to Fantabulous Cricut for some reason. Anyway, I've added a general post to your blog, but please send me the link to the post directly so I can make the switch. Thanks - and I'm so sorry about this!)

Kate
smallbitsofpaper @ hotmail.com [remove spaces]

Sarah said...

Yowza! This is so fantastic :)

Crystal said...

This is amazing!! I love it. What a great idea! I think I am going to make one of these just for my kids to keep in their rooms! Thanks for this great inspiration.

Melanie Makes said...

What a great way for him to remember he has such a loving family at home!

Glenda said...

Wow! Great project! Love the book! Congrats on first post at FCCB and Welcome! I am happy to be working with you!
Glenda
http://glendascards.blogspot.com

Beckie said...

Awesome book. So thoughtful. Love that owl holding the envelope.

Be Blessed, Beckie

Charlotte said...

Oh my goodness, this is just beautiful. I am blown away by the book and it being a shadowbox! The colors are beautiful and every little detail is perfect. I now know I will have to get the Art Nouveau cart.
Charlotte
http:alittlebitofdetail.blogspot.com

scrapqueen141 said...

Wow, awesome project! What a great idea!

Karli said...

what a lovely & thoughtful gift I know he will treasure it while away from home. I love shadowboxes & this one is a step up :) thank you for the sweet comments you left on my blog too! Hugs~
Karli

Sherrie K. said...

What an awesome project! I am sure he will treasure this..
Sherrie K
http://sherriescraps.blogspot.com

Suzanne cricutcraftingrammyblogspot.com said...

I love your shadowbox book. What an awesome project. I love the leaves from Sophie so pretty.
I am sure your son will cherish this and good luck to him on his mission.

Suzanne cricutcraftingrammyblogspot.com said...

What is a Pinterest Master List? I love Pinterest!!!!!!

Cathie Rigby said...

Suzanne-click on the link on my sidebar and it will explain the Master List. :) Cathie

Sabrina said...

Welcome to the FCCB DT, I look forward to working with you Cathie. Please make sure to e-mail me (scrappinwithsabrina@gmail.com) so I can send you some questions for Spotlight Sunday.
This is such a wonderful gift for your son as he heads out on his mission. I know he will love it. I like how you created the shadow box and love the sentiment inside!

Jennie Garcia said...

Welcome to the team!! Your project is gorgeous and so amazing!! I wish your son lots of success and his mission!! TFS!! Take Care!!
Jennie @ http://earthyscrap.blogspot.com/

Melissa said...

I am sure your son will enjoy this keepsake. You must be so proud of your son's mission.

Anonymous said...

fantastic!!!

Oil & Gas logos