Thursday, July 28, 2011

Opening the Letter....



My 19 year old son Derek made a decision a couple of months ago to serve a two year full time mission for our faith.  I was extremely proud of his decision and once he made his wishes known we began the short process of getting his paperwork in order.  Well today we very anxiously awaited that special envelope letting us know where he would be asked to serve................

Baltimore, MD Area Mission
includes parts of PA, West Virginia, Virginia and Northern Maryland

Since my family is originally from Boston, Massachusetts and I was sealed to my parents in the Washington, DC Temple I was extremely excited for my son.
As a mom I am of course a little sad at the thought of letting my baby boy go for two whole years, but I am also extremely excited for this chapter of his life and I know that he will be a better man for giving of his heart and service.

As a scrapbooking mom-I of course immediately reached for the pictures.



This is a layout of Derek from his younger days.  The poem below is what I plan to print off on the computer and put on the journaling block.  I will be working on a Missionary Calendar that I plan to send with him.  Thank goodness for my photo memories past, present and future.  It makes times like these easy to bear.

God made a world out of his dreams,
Of wondrous mountains, oceans and streams,
Prairies and plains and wooded land,
Then paused and thought,
"I need someone to stand on top of the mountains
To conquer the seas, explore the plains and
Climb the trees, someone to start small and grow,
Sturdy, strong like a tree." and so...
He created boys, full of spirit and fun,
To explore and conquer, to romp and run,
With dirty faces, banged up chins
With courageous hearts and boyish grins.
When He had completed the task He'd begun,
He surely said, "That's a job well done."
     ~Author Unknown~

5 comments :

June Houck said...

How handsome! Your LO is wonderful; thank you for sharing the poem. Congrats on your son's mission!

Stef H said...

that is absolutely wonderful. i will keep in him my prayers that he be safe and bring many souls to christ! maybe he'll speak at my church in SANDWICH, ILLINOIS one day!

hugs :)

Glora said...

Congratulations! A mission is an amazing thing. It changes the life of the missionary and the lives of the people he will teach forever. I'm so happy for you all. Hugs- Glora

Mrs. Sassy Crafter (Fabi) said...

He will come back a totally diferent person (for the better of course!) what a wonderful blessing from Heavenly Father, to have a son who's going on a mission...I know he will touch the lives of many =0)

GabyCreates.com said...

OH how excited for you I am! and for him! what a wonderful sacrifice!...but so much is gained! Handsome young man! he looks like you Cathie!