Thursday, December 8, 2011

Baby It's Cold Outside!

CLICK HERE for The Animal Challenge
I've been missing in action the last couple of days!
I wish I could say, its because I have been a Crazy Shopper hitting the malls, but really it's because in the midst of the holidays, I find myself replacing the flooring in my studio.  
I just recently remodeled and organized my studio and was getting ready to share some changes with everyone, when my husband surprised me with new flooring.  We are doing the work ourselves and can only work on it a couple hours a day.....so it is slow going!
The final result will be wonderful and I can't wait to invite some friends over to crop when I'm back in working order....but for now this means no crafting for me......I am so sad :(
I can't wait to get my happy place back.
For now I hope you will enjoy a KID FRIENDLY project that is so much fun this time of year.  My team is working on Design Time Thursday and I will share some Christmas cards on friday...so til then.

Every once in awhile my kids talk me into going to a certain food place to get a HAPPY MEAL and we wind up with some of these containers floating around the house.
I decided that I would try to come up with something fun we could do with them besides throw them in the recycle bin.  So I have to admit I received ALOT of inspiration this week from the Cold Spell we are having ---Baby It's Cold Outside---and since my playing in the white stuff days are out I thought I would bring a little version inside.

So here is my indoor Snowman!  What's great about this type of Snowman is everyone can stay warm while making him!!!!
So if you want to try one of your own here are a couple of things you might need-feel free to substitute with whatever craft supplies you have on hand-kids are amazingly creative when you give them a few 
Key Ingredients
Milk Bottle: Washed-Dried and with label removed
1 black or brown pipe cleaner for arms
3 small black buttons
Ribbon-your favorite color
Hot Glue or E6000
Styrofoam Ball for head(I used an egg shaped styrofoam and just cut off narrow end)
Animal Eyes(I used 12mm size but google eyes would be cute also)
Foamies: I used Silver Glitter Sheet but Black would work also
Some black bling for mouth and a carrot button for a nose.
Some foamie shapes for hat or you could Cricut cut any shapes you like.

The first step was to turn the bottle white.  It was a kind of see thru plastic so I just put some white acrylic paint with a little bit of water and coated the inside of the bottle.  I then cut the stryofoam head with my Pumpkin Carving knife (safe way for kids to help with the cutting) and hot glued to the lid.  Then you just decorate your SNOWMAN any way you like.  A Fun way to make Snowmen with your kids while staying WARM!!!!!

3 comments :

Lisa said...

This is so amazing and clever, Cathie!! I love the snowman!! And what a great way to recycle!! He could not be cuter!! And I love his hat!! Awesome, awesome project :)

Lisa
indymermaid.blogspot.com

Jean said...

This is so cute!

Sunshine HoneyBee said...

Cute & clever Snowman. We do our own remodeling or should I say my hubby does and I help as much as I can because we do not trust contractors & it gets done right the first time. Put down wood floor in our hallway & daughter's bedroom couple yrs ago. Took a lot to convince daughter that the original carpet had to go. I would like all wood floors if possible.
Melissa
"Sunshine HoneyBee"
http://CreatedbySunshineHoneyBee.blogspot.com