Tuesday, September 22, 2009

OUCH!!!!!!!!

Always stick to your gut instincts.  Yesterday my eight year old daughter Jasmine begged & begged to have a play date with a new friend she met in school this year.  I have not had a chance to meet many of her friends yet this year or their parents so I was hesitant.  We have a constant parade of friends at our house on a daily basis, which generally suits me just fine, but since my husband was a little wary of it this week I relented and told my daughter she could go to this new friends house if her dad accompanied her & could meet her mom.  We only allow our kids to play somewhere else if there is going to be adult supervision-seems reasonable doesn't it?  After all a parents worst fear is having something bad happen to your child when they are out of your care.  (Okay I'll admit  I have a long list of worst fears when it comes to my kids-but this is definitely one of them.)  Well to make a long story short-my husband gets a call less than an hour later from our crying daughter saying she had been attacked by her friends very big mean dog.  I wind up getting the dreaded call at work that Jasmine was in the hospital and needed stitches. Of course all I can hear is my crying daughter in the background and I lost it.  Well six stitches later, and a very frustrating call with her friends mother, and I think I no longer need to explain to my kids why I prefer they play at home or with friends whose parents we know VERY WELL.  I would much rather feed the neighborhood, clean up the mess, and listen to loud music I sometimes don't understand-then to ever get a call to meet my child in a hospital room.  I realize accidents happen & kids will get into all kinds of scrapes but at least at home I know what kind of supervision my kids will have.  Jasmine stayed home today recovering-she is sore & bruised up, and is more than happy to play in her own backyard for awhile.


No comments :